Poor walking etiquette adds injury, makes you feel tired, and impacts the overall mental (1) and physical benefits (upcoming blog) that one could get out of walking.
Let’s optimize it for better results based on advanced science and really walk like a pro to reap the maximum benefits.
Walk with the Correct Posture-Right and Wrong
1. Know the correct posture for walking for exercise. Walk with the right posture to maximize the added value of a walk. Deviation from this posture may be the cause of some other diseases.
Poor walking etiquette adds injury, makes you feel tired, and impacts the overall mental (2) and physical benefits (upcoming blog) that one could get out of walking.
Stand up straight. Your neck and head should be in alignment with your shoulders. Point your toes forward and squeeze your butt cheeks together. That puts your hips in (mostly) proper alignment. Obviously, it is hard to maintain, but be mindful of the position you trying to maintain while walking.
2. Breath Clean Air
Choose a dust-free, open space with green trees and close to a waterfront preferably.
3. Turn off your cell phone and listen to nature. Enjoy the true pleasure of walking undisturbed.
4. If you can’t get away from a polluted area, use a face mask to cover your nose and ears to reduce exposure to pollution.
5. Warm-up starting slow, brisk-walk then end up walking slowing the pace (3).
6. If you are not able to walk for 30 minutes at a stretch per day, break it into three 10 minutes walk to enjoy the full benefits.
7. Why is stretching necessary during the walk?
The neck, hip, back thighs, scapula muscles will get tight while you walk. So for that, you have to do stretching before and after once in 2 to 3 days. For an irregular worker warm and cool down is a must.
8. Use appropriate sunscreen and cover the head while walking under a bright sun.
9. Wear a pair of shoes which is one size up. Feel the comfortability of shoes.
10. Eat a small pre-workout snack like cereal, a sweet potato or so to curb appetite during walking.
11. Map your route before you start. Plan to cover areas of natural beauty if there are around you. Waterfronts, forests with green trees create a positive vibe during your walk.
12. You can walk at any time of the day but it is helpful if it is a bit lighted around. It makes you feel fresh.
13. Select a plane surface on earth to walk.
14. Walking barefoot has been recommended to neutralizes undesired radicals and charges generated inside and from outside in your body. They can react with the DNA, lipids and other systems to deteriorate your body and vital organs.
15. Regular brisk walking can help you relieving major diseases. The speed of brisk walking is “steps per minute” and is different for different people depending on their level of fitness. 100 steps per minute are considered ideal. Try to pack 7000 to 10,000 steps on an average.
In a study, those who took 15,000 or more steps per day tended to have BMIs in the normal, healthy range. Walk to get the numbers up.
Equip yourself with a measuring app that can tell you the distance that traveled in miles, number of steps, calories burned at the very minimum. This encourages you to walk more.
17. Practice walking on the stairs to go up. Park your car far off from the office and walk. Create walking opportunities always to boost the step numbers.
18. If you are a pet lover, walk with your pet friend. You can walk in a group or with a couple of friends to celebrate the pleasure and benefits of walking.
19. Yogis have added different forms of pranayama to brisk walking to exponentially benefit from the walk-exercise.
20. Walking just after a meal seems to be more effective for weight loss (4).
21. Walk for those who cannot do it and help the funding organizations.
22. Use your judgment to be safe when walking.
23. Take your doctor’s advice before you start.
A Few Words of Cautions!
· If you are feeling light-headed or tired, retire temporarily.
· Try to exercise indoor if you can in case of hot weather.
· Hydrate your body drinking plenty of water during the course of exercise
· Drinking water will help lower your blood sugar.
Enjoy the ample benefits of walking by walking correctly. Correcting walking makes you feel always better with no discomfort.